Tips for a Safe and Fun Celebration
Memorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer (or official start to Hot Dog Summer!), and it's the perfect time to spend quality moments with your four-legged buddy. However, it's essential to ensure their safety and well-being during the festivities. In this blog post, we'll explore some helpful tips for including your dog in the Memorial Day celebrations, focusing on food safety, keeping them cool, and embracing the start to Hot Dog Summer!
- When firing up the grill on Memorial Day, it's crucial to be mindful of what you're feeding your dog. While it's tempting to share some grilled goodies, certain foods can be harmful or even toxic to dogs. Here are some helpful tidbits to remember:
- Avoid sharing foods like onions, garlic, grapes, raisins, chocolate, and foods containing artificial sweeteners like xylitol.
- Opt for dog-friendly alternatives such as plain, unseasoned grilled meats or vegetables like carrots and green beans.
- Keep an eye out for bones, as they can splinter and cause harm to your dog's digestive system.
Beat the Heat:
- With Memorial Day often falling during warm weather, it's essential to prioritize your dog's comfort and protect them from overheating. Here are some tips to keep your furry friend cool and content:
- Provide plenty of fresh water and ensure it’s readily available throughout the day.
- Create shaded areas using umbrellas, canopies, or trees to offer easy breaks from the sun.
- Avoid intense physical activities during the hottest parts of the day and opt for early morning or late evening walks instead.
- Utilize cooling accessories like damp towels or cooling mats to provide relief from the heat. You can even soak your Lucy & Co. bandana in cold water and pop it on your do
Embracing the Official Start to Hot Dog Summer:
Memorial Day signifies the beginning of summer, and there are plenty of ways to celebrate the special season with your dog:
- Take your dog for a refreshing swim in a dog-friendly body of water. Ensure they are comfortable in the water and supervise them at all times.
- Plan a scenic hike or explore dog-friendly parks and trails. Remember to bring water, snacks, and your Lucy & Co. Compostable poop bags.
- Engage in mentally stimulating activities like puzzle toys or teaching your dog new tricks. So fun!
- If attending outdoor events or gatherings, make sure your dog is comfortable with crowds and is properly socialized. Keep them on their Lucy & Co. leash and provide them a safe space to retreat if needed.
Memorial Day is a fantastic opportunity to create lasting memories with your furry bestier. By prioritizing food safety, keeping them cool, and embracing dog-friendly activities, you can ensure a safe and enjoyable celebration. Remember, your dog's well-being is priority, so be attentive to their needs and provide them with a fun and loving environment throughout the weekend. Enjoy!